People are getting exercised about ex-PM Tony Blair calling on people to change their minds about membership of the European Union and to hold a second referendum.
I am very relaxed about Mr Blair’s blather, in fact I welcome his intervention. Sensible, thinking people will reflect on his record and make a value judgement about its validity. As a result, I suspect the proportion of UK electors wanting us out of the EU as quickly as can be sensibly managed will increase markedly.
Tony Blair is the Prime Minister who:
- Supported George Bush and took us to war in Iraq;
- Gave us the crippling national minimum wage;
- Introduced the Human Rights Act;
- Established the Scottish Parliament with a constitution designed to prevent the Scottish Nationalists ever gaining power;
- Established the Welsh Assembly;
- Led on the Good Friday agreement, giving immunity to IRA murderers but leaving our soldiers to be persecuted by a crooked lawyer funded by taxpayers;
- Consistently supported the UK joining the euro;
- Doubled spending on the NHS without gaining any improvement in quality;
- Doubled GP’s salaries while reducing their working hours;
- Started the squeeze on local government funding that has led to the current crisis in social care;
- Abolished hunting with hounds;
- Retired from politics and set up businesses that have made him a fortune and including 10 houses and 27 flats in his or Cherry’s name apparently worth £27m. Log on to The Guardian for details.
I think this says more than enough about Blair’s judgement. He turned the Labour Party into a party of government. After four general election defeats, he gave them three victorious elections in a row and the Party hated him for it! That they are now led by Jeremy Corbyn is, in no small measure, a reflection of the hatred many feel for the most successful Labour politician of all time if you count winning elections as successful! Blair has also proved very adept at feathering his own nest to an extraordinary extent. If this is a man who represents the views of Mr and Mrs Average Briton, I will eat my hat!
So blether on, Mr Blair, Ask for a second referendum as the EU did when Ireland voted the “wrong way” first time round but I think British voters are cannier than you believe and I think you are simply making the determination to LEAVE stronger and stronger. We should probably be thanking you!